What is Get Caught Reading?
Developed by the AAP, Get Caught Reading (GCR) is an industry-wide initiative to promote and celebrate reading. Highlighting literacy, this initiative provides the retailer and wholesaler with the opportunity to serve their customers and reinforce strong ties within their community.
Retailers and wholesalers are encouraged to work together to develop the most effective programs. From special displays to celebrity posters, each retailer can tailor the program to generate optimal community involvement, local press and incremental sales. For example, the program could be turned into a "periodical" drive (like a food or clothing drive) where customers buy and contribute periodicals to be donated to a local grassroots literacy program. Ideas for tailoring your initiative are attached. Wholesalers will contact publishers for support in sponsoring the posters and displays.
What kind of support is being generated?
The support and endorsement of the whole industry is critical for the success and tremendous growth potential of the Get Caught Reading program. This is a great opportunity for you to create excitement and support in your community for the printed word. May has been designated Get Caught Reading month. Let us know how we can help you spread the word about the fun and enormous benefits of this important initiative. GCR materials are available for your use and we'll work with you to develop ideas that work for you. More scheduled national activities will follow throughout the year.
How Do I Get Caught Reading?
The sky's the limit. The number and variety of ways your company can get involved are endless. Discuss ideas and venues with your retailer or wholesaler partners outlining the benefits of this initiative.
To name a few...
- Create visually exciting window displays in the month of May using provided materials and your own materials to draw attention to your store. Check www.getcaughtreading.org for the latest news about the Get Caught Reading campaign and to see if your state governor has issued a proclamation declaring May Get Caught Reading month (or perhaps an alternate month for his/her area).
- Hang celebrity posters over mainline racks, shelf talkers or promotional materials in other areas within the store.
- Use the Get Caught Reading logo in your newsletter or on bag stuffers. Click here
- Coordinate a Get Caught Reading event with another event at a school or library (perfect tie-in). Invite an author to speak just prior to a late-day signing event at your store.
- Provide Get Caught Reading posters to your local school or library.
- Create in-store events and store manager display contests, i.e., Get Caught Reading at the Beach (cross-promote beach products, picnic foods and products, periodicals, etc.); Get Caught Reading During Coffee Breaks; Get Caught Reading At Lunch...you get the idea.
What Is Available To Help Me Spread The Word?
A variety of promotional materials are available and can be requested directly from AAP via e-mail to Tina Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These materials include celebrity photographs and slicks for use in newsletters and advertisements, celebrity posters to hang in your store, Get Caught Reading bookmarks and postcards (as supplies last), mp3s of celebrities Getting Caught Listening, and more.
Get Caught Reading Logo Usage
The GCR logo is available in black and white stats and on disc. Please specify its usage and the format in which you require the logo to be sent in. The logo design and color (if color is requested) is not to be altered in any way.
In order for AAP to honor agreements with others in the use of the above photographs, ad slicks and posters, please be sure that photo credits and all copyright lines are visible. Before altering the photograph, ad slick or poster in any way (other than size), approval is required from AAP.
For further information and assistance:
Tina Jordan, Vice President
Association of American Publishers
71 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003-3004
Telephone: 212.255.0200, ext. 263